Sunday, March 13, 2011

Firewall the BS.


Dads have a tendency of listening to the entire world – right from their friends, colleagues, trees, birds, everyone but their own children. And the seriousness with which this 'advice seeking' happens is directly proportional to non-requirement of advice.

Case in point: the BSNL Internet connection – 4Mpbs; Unlimited Download Offer, simply put – full Power Boss.

For someone who is used to paying Rs. 400 as monthly telephone bill (still thinking its excessive). Getting a bill of Rs. 900 for internet (and phone c, combined) is like renting out Taj Mahal, when you can be happy in a One Room Chawl Kitchen. To add fuel to this stone-age fire is the constant influx of people who keep meeting our dads and keep nodding their heads in approval of whatever the opinion may be.
     'Do we actually need Internet, Mr. Kiss-ass?'
     'No Sir. Absolutely No Sir. We were better off living under a Rock, Sir.'
     'Do kids benefit from Technology?'
     'No Sir. Absolutely No, Sir. They are better off hanging by the trees and picking out hair flea off of each other for lunch, sir.'

So this nosy neighbor Mr. Kiss-ass, who happens to work in BSNL, wants to come across as an wise ass, as a Consigliere (Which jobless doesn't). In my absence, he comes and offers a solution which entails switching to Rs. 500 connection which has 2 Mpbs but a download/surfing limit of 1.5 GB. Consequently I am asked to get a "Second Opinion" on this apocalyptic suggestion from Mr. Kiss ass,  and I am send to his house for my brain storming.

   'Hello Mr. Kiss-ass Sir, with long God tika. I have come get you off my back.'
   'Please come in. Please come in. As I was telling your dad, you don't need unlimited connection. 1.5 GB is enough.'
   'Sir, my last month usage was 17 GB.'
   '17 GB?!! What do you do of 17 GB.'
   'I download all devotional song and Bhajans and all God Videos. I surf a lot Godtube.'
   'What Gods do you like?'
   'All Gods, sir. See I am a very religious person. I love all gods. No one in particular, Sir. See, I cannot be partial to one God you see. We are mortals, Sir. We are men. We don't have the right to choose, to decide what Gods to worship, What type of connection to take, But now that you are insisting - I am major follower of YamRaj, and not just on Twitter, Sir. We share a lot of things in common. He is also on my Facebook friend list. And keeping in touch with long distance friends takes a lot of net usage.'
   'So you think you will exceed 1.5 GB.'
   'Yes sir. I swear on your beautiful wifes jewelery that I will. And once I exceed 1.5 GB your generous BSNL will charges Rs. 20 per MB for Surfing/Download. So guessing by my ongoing usage my bill will come up to Rs. 5000. Then my dad will sell my kidney, then I have to come and take your kidney to replace my kidney. But I don't have proper training in handling knives and I have forgotten to rip peoples organs just by using my bear hands. So I am basically helpless here. I don't know anything except for your house address.'
   'I think you are right, young man. I should mind my own fucking business. And leave you guys the fuck alone.'
   'Sir, Truer words were never been spoken. Thank you, sir. It was nice meeting you,  Sir. RESPECT.'

We all know that nothing in the world is free or easy and convenient. When it was made very clear that that taking a limited Internet connection is like getting all decked up in gold knowing there is day-light robbery going on round the corner. May be then it was apparent to my Mr. Kiss-ass that sense of existence of the youth is not all shit-for-brains; May be there is a little bit spinning going on behind the hazy eyes.

All advising old farts means well and etc. But boss, you can only do one of two things: Gather time to care about things you actually don't want, Or gather courage to make your own mistakes.

Every generation has a different school of thought, agreed and all. We think the previous generations are bunch of stuck up retards and the they think we are fad following monkeys who cannot distinguish between elbow and an natural human orifice. These days, thankfully, experiencing such pure and basic forms of generation gap has become a rarity. But if and when one does, it is best to get a view from other person's perspective. May be, you may find something valuable, something that was blind-missed by our inexperience. And even if you don't, just remember what the elder have always told. 'Ignorance is a freaking Bliss.'

No comments: